Breakfast at Mary’s Boon
At 11:15 AM we taxied to Phillipsburg (20 min) still on the Dutch side of the island and strolled along the many duty-free shops along Front Street and Back Street with a visit to the boardwalk in-between and afterwards for cold refreshments. At the time of our visit to this shopping and beach mecca there were also 5 cruise ships that dispersed their guests as well. For a place that was crawling with tourists and dependant on their purchases we couldn’t believe how friendly and non pushy the venders were.
Later in the afternoon (around 5:00 PM) we taxied back to Simpson Bay to the Maho Bay Beach, famous for its airplane watching (landings and take-offs) WOW, this is the reason I wanted to come to St Maarten.
Take-offs: I and many others stood behind a Delta Jet take off. Even with my feet buried in the sand, I couldn’t keep my balance and shield myself from the sand, heat, and fumes. I know it was probably not the healthiest or safest thing to do but, I did it anyway.
Landings: Planes, especially larger ones, need to touch down as soon as they can in order to stop on the short landing strip. They are only feet above you head. Again, perhaps, not one of the safest things in life but, I did it anyway.
As the sunset rolled in it was time to taxi to the French side. As I researched visiting this Island I read that on Tuesday nights in Grand Case there is a Mardi Gras with bands, street dancing, venders and fine french food.
This day kept getting better and better.
This day kept getting better and better.
On the recommendation of our taxi driver we checked out the menu for La Villa. Without a reservation they were able to sit us on the street front of the entrance which is where we wanted to be, in the middle of everything. INCREDIBLE!!
DINNER
| Amuse Bouche: Cool Leek Broth |
| Starter: Chilled Creamy Cucumber Soup with Feta Mousse and Fresh Mint |
| Entree: Vegetarian Lasagne |
| Dessert: Trio of Creme Brûlée, Ice Cream, and Raspberry Panna Cotta |
We continued to walk up the street but were done, stuffed, and tired. The rain started just as we got in the taxi and stopped before we got back to the hotel.
St Maarten has not seen the last of me.
Tomorrow is a day of flying back to Nova Scotia. I have received many emails warning me to expect a big temperature shift. I last wore long pants on February 08 when I left NS. They, and sandals will have to do until I get to my car at the airport hotel. No need for a jacket here.





