Friday, 6 February 2015

February 6-7, 2015


I left Grand Narrows on Friday (Feb 06) in the middle of a snowstorm.  The Canso Causeway was closed to high-sided vehicles. With my 4-way flashers, I crossed.

Canso Causeway
As I drove on, I listened to the radio for road reports. An announcement came on saying the Trans Canada was closed up ahead because of an accident.  I stopped at Tim Hortons thinking a coffee would help pass the time for the wait I was to experience.  "CLOSED".  I knew the weather was bad but, I was surprised to see that it was bad enough to close a Tim Hortons.

I carried on in 4x4 and sure enough there was a police car directing cars onto a detour.  The detoured traffic was stopped in a growing line because the road had to be plower before they could allow the traffic on it.  In no time, I was moving again.  By the time I got to New Glasgow the weather had eased up and pavement was visible from time to time.  7 hours after leaving home I pulled into the parking lot of The Prince George Hotel in Halifax.  Time for a cocktail.
  
Saturday I checked into the Hilton Express Airport hotel and did the last minute luggage rearranging, I parked my truck in the long-term parking area with my jacket and shoes securely locked inside.  My outer garments were now reduced to a short sleeve shirt, light pants, and pair of old shoes that would be left in the airport garbage and replaced with sandals.